3 inch Uranium Cube (Free Geiger Counter, UV light)

$399.00$483.00
Shipping calculated at checkout.
Description

Why Buy Uranium?

Not many people can say that they own a piece of actual uranium. This sample of Uranium is a beautiful green crystal called Autunite. It is definitely a great conversation piece or a good way to keep annoying coworkers from coming to your desk. (*Requires a UV light to illuminate/fluoresce)

 

Technical Info  

It is 50% uranium by mass and is a naturally forming crystal of Uranium. Natural uranium contains about 0.7% uranium-235 which is the fissionable isotope used in nuclear reactors. This sample has about 15 grams of autunite which translates to about 52.5mg of the same isotope that nuclear bombs are made out of! The remaining 99.3% is U-238, also known as depleted uranium. 

Uranium is a chemical element with the symbol U and atomic number 92. In its pure form it is a silvery-grey metal but this sample is obviously not the metal form.  Uranium is part of the actinide series of the periodic table.

Most people think of modern technology when they hear the word uranium since it is the key element in nuclear energy and nuclear weapons.  However, Uranium was actually used as far back as the middle ages as a color additive to glass. 

 

Regulations

It is not regulated by law because it is a natural crystal specimen.  It is license-exempt and considered a Radioactive Ore Sample or Naturally Occurring Radioactive Materials (NORM) according to 10CFR in federal code. That being said, Autunite is becoming increasingly hard to find and collect. 

Details
  • 50% Uranium sample (by mass)
  • 3x3x3 inches
  • Free Shipping within the US
  • Made In USA 

3inch cube vs 2inch cube  

With such a great response to our 2-inch uranium autunite cube, we wanted to try something a little more impressive.  Volume increases exponentially so although this cube is only 1 inch larger, it is over 3 times the weight. The sample of uranium is also about 6 times the size of those included in the 2-inch cubes. It weighs in at over a pound (530g) giving the cube some impressive heft when you pick it up. 

 

Free Geiger Counter and UV light

This cube comes with a  complimentary UV light and Geiger counter. You can show off the glowing uranium to your friends with the UV light.  The Geiger counter can be used for experiments like going into an antique shop and finding things that are radioactive and there are a lot of radioactive things in antique shops.  

  


What Sets Us Apart

Unlike many of the knock-offs found online, our element cubes contain the actual elements, which is perhaps the most important feature of the display!

Superior optical clarity, careful placement of the elements in the artwork, and real, pure elements are what set us apart. This is the highest quality and most complete element collection on the market.

We manufacture our periodic tables here in the US using Lucite acrylic which does not yellow over time and is the most optically clear acrylic. This is the perfect gift for the science or chemistry lover in your life. Get yours today!

Safety

The cube is slightly radioactive but the acrylic shields most of the Alpha and Beta particles. Background radiation we are exposed to this every day is about 0.15 microsieverts per hour. These samples measure anywhere from 2.5 to 3.5 microsieverts. So about 20 times the background radiation. In comparison you would receive more radiation flying on an airplane. CT scans at the doctors would be thousands of times this does. 

According to OSHA a safe level of radiation in any given year is 50,000 microsieverts. So feel free to strap it to a chain and where it like a status necklace because even if you wore it 24/7 every day of the year you would still only receive 50% of the safe  level of radiation that the government permits. 

Also a side note the FDA allows for a person to consume about 20mg of uranium in their drinking water every year.  The bottom line is that this cube is very safe unless you were somehow able to break it open and make pistachio pudding with it. 

Discounts for Defects

We often have periodic tables, heritage museums, and other acrylic displays that have errors (usually a missing or displaced item). We sell these at a discount under the Discounted Items section of the website. Click this link to go to see these kinds of periodic tables. https://engineeredlabs.com/collections/discounted-items

Customer Reviews

Based on 4 reviews
100%
(4)
0%
(0)
0%
(0)
0%
(0)
0%
(0)
J
Jeroen Van Dijk
My four year old son is obsessed with the beeping now.

What an awesome package. It shows the beauty of science i can recommend this package to everyone that has a heart for science!!

A
August Heim
Excellent!

Communication was great. Products are great.

S
Somogyi Andor

Nice, special sample. It is as shown in the picture. It is beautiful under UV light.

P
Peter

Stunning! Super happy I bought this!